Thursday, June 25, 2009

Do something

In my 15 years of study, I have met many students of philosophy who leave it because they want to do something. They find philosophy frustrating and leave it to "do something". They fail to see the insight that philosophical inquiry offers because it lack the egocentrism as well as the ethnocentrism. Philosophy does not pander to our psychology so most overlook the importance of the uselessness of philosophy (to use Wendy Hamblet's title) and want it to be something else. I understand that as a career philosophy may not be for them, but I think it more than that. It seems they abandon the inquiry because it is easier. My guru always said philosophy is not for everyone since few wish to see truth or aspire to see it or are persuaded by their experience that there is no such thing. To draw conclusions from experience is at best very limiting. Does experience justify belief? Most likely not, but it can teach us to examine it if we explore. This simple reflection can lead to a good life but "doing something" is often more complex and ego driven. It is wanting something and it is guised as goodness or compassion. I worked in the "caring profession" for seven years and I saw more rhetoric than caring. Foucult may have had it right how we form our discourse determines much of how we approach the world and each other. Doing something without clear understanding has lead us to where we are today and I would argue it is not a very good place. Perhaps, thinking more and doing less would be wiser.

4 comments:

  1. That's an interesting outlook and I respect it. I am really convinced that the sole reason most people leave philosophy is because it present limited career opportunities. I myself am guilty of this. I love my studies and will always appreciate the years that I spent learning about the various philosophies that have greatly shaped my beliefs.

    To be honest, I've actually heard that many philosophy professors tell their students not to major in philosophy, or if they do, to make sure they major in something else in addition. It's kind of sad but I understand that they are only looking for the financial benefit of the students. But this is wrong. If students are freaked out by their job opportunities they'll take these professor's advice. Given the amount of extra required in having two majors, a lot of students would probably just abandon philosophy completely. Or they'd minor in it... Anyway, you're right, about one's action and the need to understand clearly. If you ditch what you love for job security (which I think is definitely the case) then you'll regret it. Cliche statement, I know. But really; is that exactly how it all works?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are right in that many seek the illusion of security over most things. Security is a powerful illusion, I often think of Schopenhauer and the meaninglessness of getting what we desire. I understand academic philosophy is not for everyone and the job prospects are very limiting. However, anyone who explores a bit deeper sees security and ego are at the core of the illusions. Being seems so little to do with what we do and who we are. To go beyond desire and wanting to become can be a guide. If we stop short and abandon inquiry we are lost to the self-absorbed asocial individualism that permeates our modern world. We are caught eternally in our minds with a self that is insatiable and we never get to see it for what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, it's interesting that your studies have led you more and more to that conclusion because the more I study philosophy the more I'm driven to the opposite conclusion: practice is primary. I completely agree with you in that philosophy is very important; it is our most abstract theory which guides our action. But it is our action, our practices that determine philosophy, not the other way around, so you see the primacy, in my view, of practice. Theory and practice work hand in hand; without theory practice has no guide, but without practice theory is nothing; what would theory, not related to any practice, be of?
    Basically, philosophy IS really important precisely because it guides practice, but practice is primary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You say, “I completely agree with you in that philosophy is very important; it is our most abstract theory which guides our action. But it is our action, our practices that determine philosophy, not the other way around, so you see the primacy, in my view, of practice. Theory and practice work hand in hand; without theory practice has no guide, but without practice theory is nothing.” I think we are saying something similar but I would differ in that I would say "Inquiry is Primary" and practice comes from understanding and careful thought. Inquiry is not simply theorizing about what is it an examination that does not end and suddenly practice arrives. I think we have to question the nature of practice and understand what it means in action. I see most practitioners moving and acting with little or no thoughtfulness. The consequent is more often than not creation of “true believers” who refuse to stop and think why they do what they do and we have seen the outcome many times throughout history. If practice is primary without inquiry as the guide the practice is as harmful and meaningless as inquiry without practice. Inquiry is primary then practice.

    ReplyDelete